« Home | My mom turned 60. » | get well, buddy » | medicine woman » | Message from the President » | Berkeley welcomes the Hummer » | I've been blogged. » 

Monday, November 28, 2005 

Thank you, bunnies.

Someone told me today that the corneal flap made during LASIK surgery never heals. I've been having nightmares that I dislodge a flap doing something stupid, i.e. blowing compressed air from a can directly into my eye (this is a dream, remember). I searched online and according to every source, including the FDA, but not including the TLC Laser Center's website, this is the case. The flap never really heals. In fact, should one need followup LASIK surgery, a new flap will not be created. The doctor simply pulls the old one back.

I did some searching of the public medical journals and read two cases of post-LASIK corneal dislocation due to eye trauma, including a guy who caught a football with his eye - way to keep your eye on the ball, buddy. Both cases required surgery to re-"attach" the corneal flap, but 20/20 vision was restored. That's good news. Here's the better news: The Air Force conducted a study titled, "Laser in situ keratomileusis flap stablility during simulated aircraft ejection in a rabbit model."

In the study, 25 New Zealand white rabbits underwent LASIK corneal flap surgery - they didn't get the laser bit, though - then were subjected to the Air Force cockpit ejection simulator (I bet that's going to show up on some google searches) with 9 G's of force.

Then the little bunnies were euthanized and their eyes were observed for changes. No, that's not the good news, silly, this is: "CONCLUSIONS: Healed LASIK flaps as created in this rabbit model without laser ablation are stable when subjected to a rapid vertical ejection at nine times the force of gravity."

I for one feel much better. Thank you, bunnies.

Thank you, Mikela. I had LASIK done about a month and a half ago. I'm pretty damn happy with it overall. The dryness is getting better; I only notice it late at night and right when I wake up.

I'm just miffed that neither my doctor nor the TLC laser center bothered to mention the fact that the corneal flap never heals. I think if I knew that beforehand, I might not have had it done. I do Hapkido, a martial art, and I did mention that to my doctor. Now I'm considering wearing eye protection when I spar. I'm going to look like a dork.

Oh, and I'm sorry about you having to create an account to comment. I have changed the permissions so now you and the other person who reads my blog can comment.

Oh my god PLEASE wear protective eyewear! That woudl be so awesome. I promise I wouldn't laugh... much. We had a guy in our Hapkido school who wore the Kareem-Abdul Jabbar style glasses and he actually pulled it off quite well. Granted, he was black and black people can pull off any look....

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm noahstone
  • From Los Angeles, California, United States
  • I am a singer/songwriter: http://www.myspace.com/noahstone
My profile

Links

  • My Flickr
  • noahstone.com
  • Myspace
  • Antoine Wilson's Wot-What

  • www.flickr.com
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates